Chicken of the Sea’s history dates back nearly a century, when fishermen referred to the white albacore tuna as "Chicken of The Sea" because the white color and very mild flavor reminded them of chicken. Since 1952, the Chicken of the Sea brand and iconic Mermaid logo have been known worldwide.
Consumers have come to know Chicken of the Sea as synonymous with health, nutrition and convenience through the variety of seafood products (Tuna, Salmon, and Specialty Seafood) marketed under the Chicken of The Sea, Van Camp, Genova, Healthy Selection, and Ace of Diamonds brand. Providing consumers these three values – health, nutrition and convenience – are the company’s hallmarks and standards by which Chicken of the Sea ensures confidence among consumers.
Key Dates in Company History
- 1917 - Chicken of the Sea (formerly Van Camp Seafood Company) became the first cannery to commercially pack yellowfin tuna.
- 1960s - The Chicken of the Sea jingle, "Ask any Mermaid You Happen to See... What's the Best Tuna? Chicken of the Sea," was developed and continues to be used today.
- 1984 - Chicken of the Sea was the first to introduced Boneless & Skinless Canned Salmon.
- 1996 - Chicken of the Sea is the first seafood brand to voluntarily incorporate the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) program, designed to protect consumers from food borne illness and ensure food safety into its canned tuna processing facility.
- 2002 - Becoming the first in the industry to do so, Chicken of the Sea introduced boneless and skinless salmon in pouches. Chicken of the Sea celebrated the 50th anniversary of its brand icon, the Mermaid, with a 50th Mermaid Anniversary Recipe Contest.
- 2004 - The company introduced consumers to the first shellfish in foil pouches in oyster, crab, imitation crab, shrimp and clam varieties.
- 2005 - The seafood company announces Chicken of the Sea Smoked Pacific Salmon, a gourmet, real-wood-smoked filet in a convenient, ready-to-eat 3-ounce foil pouch.
- 2006 - Meeting consumers’ desires for convenient and portion-controlled meals and snacks, Chicken of the Sea introduced 2.8-ounce, no-draining required “peel and eat” cups in chunk light tuna, chunk white tuna and salmon.
- 2007 - Chicken of the Sea expands its Genova brand of premium, Italian-style tuna and salmon with several new varieties.
- 2008 - Chicken of the Sea introduces Healthy Selections tuna pouches – the newest addition to Chicken of the Sea’s line of convenient, shelf-stable seafood –an excellent source of much-needed nutrients, such as heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, protein and vitamin D.
- 2010 – Chicken of the Sea introduces Premium Select Tuna – a solid tuna fillet in a 5oz can comes in 5 flavors - albacore and yellowfin tuna in olive oil and water, and solid light tuna in olive oil.