StarKist Co. is a leading producer, distributor and marketer of shelf-stable seafood products in the United States. A category leader in innovation, StarKist was the first brand to introduce the StarKist Flavor Fresh Pouch®; StarKist Tuna Creations®, a line of lightly marinated tuna; and, a dolphin-safe policy. As America’s favorite tuna, StarKist represents a tradition of quality, innovation and consumer trust and is well known for its charismatic brand icon, Charlie® the Tuna, who swam into the hearts of tuna fans in 1961 and is still a fan favorite today. StarKist Co. is a subsidiary of the Dongwon Group.
- 1963 StarKist Food Inc. is acquired by H.J. Heinz Company
- 1980 StarKist becomes the top U.S. tuna brand
- 1990 Starkist adopts a “Dolphin Safe” policy
- 2000 StarKist relocates to Pittsburgh and introduces tuna in a pouch as the latest in packaging
- 2002 Del Monte Foods acquired StarKist from Heinz
- 2008 Dongwon Industries acquires StarKist from Del Monte Foods